Chapman ruled out of third Pak ODI  | The Express Tribune

Chapman ruled out of third Pak ODI | The Express Tribune


New Zealand batter Mark Chapman will not be available for the third ODI against Pakistan which is scheduled to be played here at the Bay Oval on Saturday.

According to New Zealand Cricket (NZC), the left-handed batter, who also missed the second ODI due to a hamstring injury, was assessed during the home side’s training session for the upcoming fixture which revealed that he had not recovered sufficiently.

“Mark Chapman has been ruled out of the third and final Chemist Warehouse ODI against Pakistan at Bay Oval tomorrow with a hamstring injury,” the NZC announced in a statement.

“Chapman was ruled out of the second ODI in Hamilton with a minor hamstring tear, and an assessment at training today revealed he has not recovered sufficiently to take his place in the XI for the final match of the home summer,” the statement added.

As a result, Tim Seifert, who was called in as Chapman’s replacement for the second ODI in Hamilton, will stay with the squad for the upcoming fixture.

Pakistan has already lost the tree-match series with New Zealand taking an unassailable 2-0 lead. Mohammad Rizwan’s men are determined to regroup for today’s match in order to avoid a clean sweep and salvage some pride.

It may be mentioned here that Pakistan had been thrashed 4-1 in the T20I series earlier last month.

Earlier, opener Tom Latham was also ruled out of the one-day series with a hand injury, leaving Michael Bracewell to continue as the side’s captain.

Opener Will Young also opted out of the last two ODIs to be with his wife as they awaited the birth of their first child.

“It’s obviously disappointing to lose Mark and Tom in the series. But thankfully, we have some wonderful back up players who are ready to showcase their talent here,” said coach Gary Stead.

“We’ve had to be flexible this tour with numerous players unavailable for different reasons,” he said.

Babar Azam set for return to Pak T20I squad

Pakistan batter Babar Azam likely to be included in the national T20I squad ahead of Asia Cup and T20 World Cup.

According to emerging reports, Babar Azam is set to make his return to the national T20I squad. This comes after Pakistan suffered a heavy defeat under the captaincy of Salman Ali Agha, as they were thrashed 4-1 by New Zealand in a five-match T20I series.

Pakistan’s disappointing performance in the series was largely due to their struggling batters. While Hasan Nawaz impressed with a brilliant century, but his inconsistent performances in the other matches left Pakistan with a lot to be desired.

Other players like Mohammad Haris, Abdul Samad, and Irfan Khan Niazi also failed to make an impact. Haris managed just 65 runs in five innings, while Irfan and Abdul Samad came under severe criticism for their low scores.

Given the disappointing performances from the batters on the New Zealand tour, the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) selection committee is reportedly eager to bring Babar Azam back into the T20I squad. This move is expected to strengthen Pakistan’s batting lineup, particularly in light of their recent struggles.

Babar Azam, who remains Pakistan’s technically skilled batter, could be included in the T20I squad for the upcoming Asia Cup and the 2026 World Cup. His return could provide much-needed stability to a top order that has struggled in recent times.



Courtesy By Tribune News

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top