PM Sharif chairs high-level meeting on flood preparedness – HUM News

PM Sharif chairs high-level meeting on flood preparedness – HUM News


ISLAMABAD: Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif on Wednesday chaired a high-level meeting to review the ongoing flood situation and the government’s preparedness to minimise potential losses.

During the briefing, the chairman of the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) Lieutenant General Inam Haider Malik informed the prime minister about the latest water levels in the Chenab, Sutlej and Ravi rivers. He said rising discharges at Head Marala and Khanki on the Chenab, as well as increasing pressure at Jassar and Shahdara on the Ravi, posed serious flood risks.

The NDMA reported that 5,000 tents had been dispatched for flood-affected families in Punjab, while 2,000 trucks were being used to assist with evacuation efforts.

Gurdwara Darbar Sahib Kartarpur submerged as floods swell Ravi

PM Sharif emphasised that advance warnings had already saved lives and property, urging that early alerts be made even more effective. He directed uninterrupted electricity supply in flood-hit Punjab areas, including Lahore, Gujrat and Sialkot, and called for proactive steps to safeguard people and livestock. He further instructed authorities to ensure timely alerts in Sindh as floodwaters move downstream.

A resident carries milk buckets as he crosses a flooded road, due to the monsoon rains and rising water level of the Sutlej River, in Bhikhiwind village, near the Pakistan-India border in Kasur district of the Punjab province, Pakistan, August 24, 2025. REUTERS/Akhtar Soomro/File Photo

The prime minister said the federal government would extend full support to Punjab, as it had to Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, to manage the crisis. He stressed that elected representatives and local institutions must closely supervise the evacuation of residents to safe locations.

India notifies Pakistan about rising water levels in Sutlej, Ravi, and Chenab Rivers

“The government is determined to resolve problems arising from the flood situation, and all-out efforts will be made to protect the lives and livelihoods of people,” PM Sharif said.

‘Alarming situation’

Federal Minister Abdul Aleem Khan on Wednesday also warned that the flood situation in Punjab had become alarming, with Shahdara among the first areas at risk. He said populations along the riverbanks had been evacuated to safer locations as dangerous conditions were expected overnight.

In Sargodha, a high flood passed through Kot Momin with flows exceeding 300,000 cusecs, threatening at least 41 villages including Takht Hazara and Midh Ranjha. Low-lying areas were submerged, forcing residents to flee their homes. Army troops, Rescue 1122 and district authorities launched evacuation and relief efforts.

Army deployed

The Punjab government deployed army troops across six districts to support civil authorities in rescue and relief efforts as the province battled an unprecedented flood emergency. Officials said the crisis was triggered by relentless monsoon rains coupled with India’s release of water from two dams, which has swelled major rivers beyond capacity. Thousands of residents in low-lying areas were forced to evacuate as floodwaters inundated villages and farmland, disrupting transport and power supplies. Authorities warned of further risks in the coming days and urged people in vulnerable areas to move to safer locations as rescue operations continued.



Courtesy By HUM News

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top