GILGIT: Federal Minister for Kashmir Affairs Amir Muqam on Thursday handed over compensation cheques worth Rs20 million each to the families of those who lost their lives in the recent rains and floods in Gilgit-Baltistan.
The cheques were distributed in a ceremony held at the Chief Minister Secretariat in Chinar Bagh, Gilgit. The federal minister handed over the financial assistance on behalf of the Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif and the federal government.
According to official data, 45 people lost their lives and as many were injured during recent flood-related incidents across Gilgit-Baltistan.
Speaking on the occasion, Muqam expressed solidarity with the flood-affected people and reaffirmed the federal government’s commitment to standing by the people of Gilgit-Baltistan in this time of crisis. He said that Rs4 billion had already been allocated by the Prime Minister for relief and rehabilitation efforts in the flood-hit areas.
Focus shifts to Trimmu after Qadirabad passes Chenab test
“No one will be left alone in this time of difficulty,” he said, adding that clear instructions have been issued by the Prime Minister to ensure swift rehabilitation of the affected regions.
Praising the efforts of the GB government and local institutions, Muqam lauded their timely response in handling the disaster and providing support to the affected population.
Although the Prime Minister could not visit GB due to the prevailing flood situation in Punjab, he conveyed his sympathies to the people of the region and assured them of continuous federal support.
He also highlighted several developmental initiatives including the Gilgit-Shandur-Chitral road project, which he termed a game-changer for regional connectivity and tourism. The minister mentioned that efforts were underway to initiate the Babusar Tunnel project, which would provide a shorter and safer alternative route for commuters.
He said that issues faced by the affected people of the Diamer-Bhasha Dam, Sost port, and airport projects would be resolved through mutual consultation. He added that steps were being taken to develop a model village in Ghizer district to support those displaced by the floods.
On the occasion, Chief Minister Haji Gulbar Khan extended his gratitude to Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif for his timely intervention and financial assistance for the flood victims. He also thanked Minister Amir Muqam for visiting the affected areas, assessing the damages firsthand, and ensuring delivery of aid to the bereaved families.
Pakistan floods kill 17,000, cause $70bn losses in 75 years
The event was attended by Chief Minister Haji Gulbar Khan, provincial ministers, secretaries, senior officials, flood victims, and members of the public. Federal Secretary for Kashmir Affairs, Gilgit-Baltistan and SAFRON, Zafar Hasan, was also present.
Punjab floods
Meanwhile, Waterflow was increasing at Trimmu Barrage as the Chenab River continued inundating parts of Punjab along its path on Thursday, with the Provincial Disaster Management Authority (PDMA) confirming 17 deaths in the province so far.
The rising water level at Trimmu threatens Jhang city and nearby areas located around 26 kilometers from the Chenab River in the fertile plains of Punjab.
In this scenario, the National Disaster Management Authority on Thursday warned that the Athara Hazari area on the left bank of Chenab could be used as a breaching site to control waterflow in Chenab and protect the Trimmu Barrage.
“Residents of the areas at risk should immediately act upon the instructions of the local administration and contact relief teams in emergency situations,” it advised the locals.