Over 800,000 cusecs threaten Punjab, PDMA warns as Sutlej swells – HUM News

Over 800,000 cusecs threaten Punjab, PDMA warns as Sutlej swells – HUM News


WEB DESK: Floodwaters continued to threaten large swathes of Punjab on Saturday, with authorities warning of further danger as heavy inflows surged through the Sutlej and Ravi rivers.

According to Director General of the Punjab Provincial Disaster Management Authority (PDMA) Irfan Ali Kathia, relief and rescue operations remain underway in the hardest-hit districts, but the scale of incoming water demands urgent caution. At Ganda Singh Wala, a massive torrent of nearly 300,000 cusecs is currently passing downstream, forcing the evacuation of nearby settlements. “Communities along the Sutlej have already been shifted to safer areas as the flood wave moves towards Head Sulaimanki,” Kathia confirmed.

Rain spell to continue across Pakistan till September 1

He added that at Head Marala, water levels had already reached 175,000 cusecs, while at Trimmu Headworks the flow stood at 145,000 cusecs. “By tomorrow, Trimmu could be struck by a surge exceeding 800,000 cusecs,” Kathia warned, describing it as one of the most dangerous flood peaks in recent years. The swelling waters are also expected to exert pressure on Head Muhammad Wala, while the flow towards Head Sidhnai and Kabirwala is steadily rising.

Guddu may see 1.2m cusecs flood in worst-case scenario

Similarly, the Ravi River is also running high. At Balloki, water discharge has hit 200,000 cusecs, while at Shahdara it is 129,000 cusecs. “Currently, the Ravi is carrying nearly 220,000 cusecs at some points, creating serious risk for downstream settlements,” Kathia said.

The PDMA chief further cautioned that fresh rainfall is forecast across several districts of Punjab over the next two to three days, which could exacerbate the flooding. Relief agencies, he said, are on high alert to provide food, shelter, and medical care to affected families.

Pakistan Army rescue operations continue

The Pakistan Army continued rescue and relief operations on Saturday across flood-hit districts of Punjab, including Jhang, Faisalabad, Chiniot and Toba Tek Singh. To protect densely populated areas, controlled breaches were made at three points in embankments in Jhang and Faisalabad, diverting nearly 100,000 to 150,000 cusecs of water downstream.

Army deployed for flood relief in Punjab’s worst-hit districts

Army troops, aided by helicopters and boats, are evacuating families to safer locations. In Faisalabad’s flood-affected villages alone, more than 14,000 people have been rescued, while in Tandlianwala five relief camps, 18 medical camps and six rescue centres have been established for displaced families. Similar camps have also been set up in Toba Tek Singh in coordination with military teams to provide food, shelter and medical assistance to those impacted by the surging waters.



Courtesy By HUM News

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top