LONDON: London’s Metropolitan Police on Tuesday charged at least 67 people for showing support to the banned Palestine Action group.
The accused will appear in court across several dates in October, and could face a maximum sentence of up to six months in prison if found guilty, the police said.
On August 9, London police arrested at least 365 people for supporting Palestine Action during a protest backing the group since the UK government banned under anti-terror laws.
The UK government proscribed Palestine Action as a terror group in July following acts of vandalism at a Royal Air Force base.
Rights groups have condemned the ban as legal overreach and a threat to free speech.
More than 700 people had so far been arrested, mostly during demonstrations, since the group was proscribed under the Terrorism Act 2000.
The Metropolitan Police said in its statement that charges had been laid against 64 people relating to demonstrations and protests held in central London on two dates last month.
That was in addition to charges brought against three other people announced earlier this month.
On Monday, acclaimed screenwriter Paul Laverty was arrested on suspicion of supporting Palestine Action during a protest in Edinburgh, Scottish police said.
Last week, Irish author Sally Rooney vowed to give fees generated by two BBC adaptations of her books to Palestine Action.